Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Parallel Group Experiences

               My parallel experiences were in two of my finance classes – Fin 221 and Fin 321. In each class we created groups at the beginning of the course and worked on various projects throughout the semester. In both groups, we divvied up the work and then got together to talk about the answers and check each other’s work. My experiences with these groups were completely different, however: my Fin 321 group experience was great, and my Fin 221 group experience was horrible.
               In my Fin 221 group, there were originally 5 other people working in the group. One of them dropped the course, leaving the rest of us hanging. At first the other 4 were fine to deal with, but as the semester went on, it got worse and worse. Group members either stopped doing their work or stopped showing up to talk about it and check it if they did do their work. Some group members stopped going to class altogether and relied on the other group members to tutor them on material that was necessary to finish the project. It was incredibly frustrating as someone who did go to class and understand the material to have to put in so much extra effort to get a good grade, when the people who were not only free-riding on the project but also not putting effort into the class in general would get the same grade I would. The people who got their work done were also aggravating, since they stopped putting in the effort to make sure that the other parts of the project were correct as well. The group didn’t get along because of differences in effort level, regardless of the level of talent or quality of production.
               In my Fin 321 group, we all got along for multiple reasons. First, we were all friends to begin with, so we were more predisposed to getting along. I don’t think that’s the primary reason that we got along in the context of this project, though. We formed a group in the first place because we all trusted each other to put effort into the projects and to help each other if we needed it. Luckily, that’s exactly what happened. We all did our parts going into our group meetings, and if we didn’t understand something the other group members all did our best to either explain it or help look up the answer if they didn’t know either. All group members were present throughout the entirety of the project, and we all felt that the grades we earned were appropriate for everyone in the group.

               I would like to note that while these group experiences were very different as far as enjoyment of the experience goes, they were both beneficial in one way or another. The Fin 321 group got me a good grade, but I got a great interview story out of my Fin 221 experience. Any time I’m asked to describe a time where I had to deal with someone who was challenging to deal with or in a group where there were team members who weren’t doing their part, I go right to this story and put it in a positive light. So, both negative and positive group experiences are valuable to have in one capacity or another.

2 comments:

  1. It's good that you can look back at the Fin 221 experience with a positive light. For the purposes of our class, however, I wonder if you could recall the negative part more intensely. Were there ever angry exchanges among the team members? Or did the students who did the work simply resign to the fact that the other members of the "team" wouldn't do their fair share.

    On a related note, one of my first projects as Associate Dean in the College of Business was to convert FIN 221 to a blended format. The first year or two after we did that most students were angry about that move. Several told us they now had to read the book to understand what was going on since they didn't have the time to watch all the videos. I believe they've ironed out the kinks since then in that aspect of the course. But I suspect the projects were there before the move to blended and haven't changed much since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I have never taken any business classes at this school, I have personally experienced my friends go through the same process as you described above. More specifically, I know that the business school does emphasis group projects because it helps prepare the individual in a work environment out in the real world. It it situations such as these that I believe prepare someone for unexpected situations such as an uncooperative team member. Freeloaders as you described above will definitely be present in any team setting. I believe that the best way to achieve a successful outcome is to organize and motivate these people to contribute. Taking control of the situation is an important skill that promotes leadership, which I consider to be necessary in any type of group setting.

    ReplyDelete